Blue Man Group maintains character

Water flies as the actors perform a “drum blast” during the encore. The Blue Man Group will perform tonight at 7:30 in John R. Emens Auditorium. DN PHOTO BOBBY ELLIS

The sound of a deep bass echoed through the room as the curtain rose. Shifting figures transitioned into men, bald and painted blue, pounding percussion instruments to the screams of the crowd. Three silhouettes danced along the walls of John R. Emens Auditorium on Tuesday night. 

With more than 2,200 people in attendance, Tuesday night’s show was the first of two for Blue Man Group. The group’s second show is at 7:30 tonight in Emens Auditorium. 

Plastic ponchos covered those sitting in the first few rows. The performers poured fluorescent paint onto the heads of drums, beating the paint several feet into the air to shine in the black lights. 

The blue men touched on the role of technology in 21st century life while interacting with giant “GiPads” that presented written material to the audience and dispensed Cap’n Crunch. 

Using Twinkies, table settings and a variety of other props, the group recruited an audience member during the show for a sketch on self-consciousness. However, junior finance major Hannah Medler turned the tables. 

The trio attempted to make Medler feel uncomfortable, parading her before the crowd, glaring at her in unison and using a variety of props to antagonize her.

Medler wasn’t so easily played. She glared back at them and refused to match their actions, making them eat with the same hand as her and abiding by her way of doing things. The audience roared with laughter. 

“I just thought the more fun I had with it, the more fun the audience would have with it,” Medler said.  

While in their blue paint and black outfits, the members of the Blue Man Group never break character. The trio does not speak, even during meet and greets. An “autograph” is a dab of blue paint. Audience members snapped pictures and shook their blue hands. 

However, even the mysterious performers have to take a break from their act and venture into public. About an hour after the show, the trio went out of costume to Scotty’s Brewhouse for a late night meal.