The Ball State senior’s final checklist

As students just finished counting down the days until winter break, it’s time to start counting again. There are 52 days until Spring Break, 107 days until the last day of classes and 115 days until graduation. Seniors, keep track of the calendar and be sure not to fall behind in preparation for the final day of your college career. 

January

Meet with your academic advisor. 

Make sure you are on track with your coursework. When May rolls around, you don’t want any surprises preventing you from receiving your diploma.

Sign up for the Writing Proficiency Exam. 

Spring semester offers two final shots to take the Writing Proficiency Exam, one at the end of January and one in April. Don’t wait until April to take it for the first time. Graduating seniors who don’t pass will have to take a summer course before they can officially receive their diplomas.

Meet with your career advisor. 

Just like an academic advisor is there to help keep your academic goals on track, your career advisor can help you search for your career goals. Go to Cardinal Career Link and click on Calendar to set up an appointment.

Begin job hunting. 

It’s never too early to begin searching for what you will be doing after graduation. Research which employers will be interviewing on campus and what job fairs will be nearby in the coming months. Network to discover job opportunities.

February

Pick up your cap and gown – Feb. 21-22

Although you can pick up your cap and gown at any time during your final semester, the Cap and Grad Gown Fair is a good time to make sure you don’t forget them. The fair will take place from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Feb. 21 and from noon to 6 p.m. Feb. 22 in the Ball State Bookstore. You can also purchase announcements at this time.

Revise and update your resume. 

Do the same to your portfolio if applicable. Customize your cover letters for each job you are applying to. Have someone, such as an employee at the Career Center in Lucina Hall, critique your resumes before submitting them to potential employers. 

March

Registration closes for undergraduates – March 18

Even if all of your coursework is done, you still have to apply to graduate. If you haven’t done so already, go to the Self-Service Banner at my.bsu.edu. The link to apply for graduation is under the student records tab. There is a $25 application fee. 

April

Pick up your name card. 

About three weeks before graduation, you will receive an email about picking up your name card and any honors you will be receiving at graduation. Name cards can be picked up at Lucina Hall or the dean’s office for the individual college.

Check your bursar statement. 

Although having a hold on your account will not make you ineligible to graduate, it will make you unable to order transcripts. If the fees are not paid in a timely manner, they will be sent through a collections agency. Now is the time to make sure you don’t have any unfinished business with Parking Services.

Request transcripts. 

Paper transcripts are free for all current students until Aug. 31. After that date, transcripts cost $12 for former students and alumni. 

May

Graduation day has arrived! – May 4

Relieve stress the day of by reading through the Commencement website prior to the day of the event. The website will tell you where you need to go and at what time for the main ceremony and the individual college ceremonies.