Fun. performs at Ball State to a sold-out audience

Fun. performs at John R. Emens Auditorium Jan. 25. The indie pop band came to Ball State just weeks before the Grammys, where they will be performing and were nominated for six awards. DN PHOTO JOY SOBEY

A Grammy nominated indie pop band lived up to its name Friday night at John R. Emens Auditorium.

Fun. took the stage at 9:25 p.m. and played for about an hour and a half.

"We've never been to Muncie before," Nate Ruess, lead singer of Fun., said to a roaring crowd. "This is the s--t."

Among the songs they played was a cover of John Mellencamp's "Jack and Diane." Halfway through the show, they announced the audience would hear a new song.

"We've only played it once or twice. It's called 'What the F--k,'" Ruess said.

For some, the concert was a life-changing event. People in the crowd say they witnessed a man propose to his girlfriend during "The Gambler."

The band left the stage after performing "All Alright." When the crowd began to chirp, they reentered to play "Some Nights" as an encore.

As people left Emens, a group of fans gathered around Fun.'s tour bus hoping to encounter the band leaving the auditorium. Security immediately forced the crowd to disperse, however.

Audience members flooded Twitter after the show, voicing a general consensus that Fun. performed well.

What an absolutely amazing concert! Blown away!  "

"
One of the best concerts I have ever been to! FUN. Was phenomenal! "

"
 Amazing concert tonight in Muncie. You guys did a great job! "

The concert began at 8 p.m., when opener Andrew McMahon took the stage to play to an almost-full house. His set lasted approximately 45 minutes and ended with "Dark Blue."

Instagram photos from @bsudailynews