Finance Society teaches students importance of interviews

In one room on campus Wednesday night, the answer to every question posed was “What would John Travolta do?”

The Finance Society held an interview workshop hosted by Camille Mason, Assistant Director at Ball State University Career Center.

Mason said the most important thing when conducting an interview is confidence, something she exemplified with a clip from the 1983 film “Staying Alive.”

“Writing a good resume is a waste of time without good interview skills,” Mason said.

Geoff Dewitt, a junior economy and finance major, said good interview skills are something he feels is the best way to land a dream job. 

“People don’t put in the time until it’s too late,” Dewitt said, “look, cover letters and resumes are only going to get you so far.”

Mason said interview skills are more important than ever considering most people change their career paths 4 to 7 times within their lifetime, leading to many, many interviews. 

Mitch Pavnica, a freshman finance major, said he learned it is most important to tell the employer skills they can allow you to improve upon.

“The financial sector is all about how you can improve yourself, you need to tell them what they want to hear, and have the skills to back it up.”

Morgan said students who are looking to learn more about interview skills or the job search process in general should contact Cardinal Career Link or schedule a meeting with their adviser.