Daniels reappoints Board of Trustees president

Twenty-four-year Board of Trustees member Hollis E. Hughes Jr. was reappointed as president by Gov. Mitch Daniels.

As newly reappointed president, Hughes said he hopes to continue in this term working with the other board members and advancing the university as a top school in the state. 

“What I really enjoy is the change I’ve seen in the university over the years, how much stronger the university has grown since I first came on the board and just the challenges we have dealt with and how we have handled them as well if not better than most state institutions,” Hughes said. 

Hughes has been the board president since 2011. He has been on the board since 1989 and was board secretary from 2006 to 2011, according to a Ball State press release.

“I felt pleased with the support of the alumni association and pleased with the opportunity to continue to be of service to the state and also to have an impact on higher education,” Hughes said. 

He graduated from Ball State in 1965 with a bachelor’s degree and earned his master’s degree in 1972. 

“As an alum of Ball State, it means an awful lot to be of service and give something back,” he said. 

Hughes is part of the nine-member board, made up of two Ball State alumni, one full-time student and six members appointed at large. Members serve four year terms. 

The governor appoints all nine members. The primary duties of the board includes granting degrees, borrowing money and setting fees and charges. 

In addition to serving as president of the board, he also serves on the Ball State University Foundation, the Alumni Council and the Black Alumni Society Board of Directors.