UPDATE: INSIDE EMENS

Winfrey discusses childhood, success

Oprah Winfrey laughs at a joke made by David Letterman during their talk on Monday. The event was held in a sold out John R. Emen's Auditorium and was streamed into Pruis Hall for students who could not get tickets to the live event. DN PHOTO BOBBY ELLIS

By Rachel Stenger

Oprah Winfrey grew up in a turbulent home, where children “were seen and not heard,” but she told a Ball State audience today that she started reading by age 3 with Bible stories.

“I wanted to be Diana Ross [when I was young],” said Winfrey, who appeared with “Late Night” host David Letterman. 

“I’ve never had therapy. That’s why I was so interested in talking to you... I did have the Oprah Winfrey show, though.”

Winfrey, describing a childhood of abuse, contrasted her experience with the suburban quiet of Letterman’s childhood home, which the two compared to a 1960s sitcom. 

“You’re an extraordinary person who lived through hell,” Letterman said. “You were not consumed, you prevailed.”

Minutes before Dave and Oprah took the stage, students chanted the distinctive “chirp chirp” Cardinals sports cheer. The lights dimmed and a two-minute video showed students camping out two weeks ago for tickets to the event. President Jo Ann Gora took the stage, congratulating students on their perseverance.

As anticipation built toward today’s appearance, students have been tweeting questions at the pair using the hashtag #DaveOprah. The hashtag was trending nationally on Twitter shortly after the conversation began.

“I look forward to hearing reactions to all of the questions you’ve been tweeting,” Gora said. 

She then introduced Letterman, whom she called “a true cardinal.” 

The “Late Night” host immediately answered the ovation and cheers with a joke and then introduced Winfrey.

“I have very specific, very vivid feelings about our guest this afternoon,” he said. “Please do me a favor and welcome Oprah Winfrey.” 

Students stood and cheered for nearly a minute.

After nearly two hours on stage, the pair were interrupted by Gora, who walked out, seemingly into the middle of their conversation, as if to signal that their time was up.

“May we help you?” Letterman joked, adding that Gora acted like “she owns the place.”

The two continued, with Winfrey taking questions from the audience. 

Benjamin Dashley and Evie Lichtenwalter contributed to the story.