SRS FINAL HOME GAME

Freeman, Martin have seen the ups and downs in four years at school

DN FILE PHOTO JONATHAN MIKSANEK Tony Martin goes after a Western Michigan runner during the first half of the game on Saturday Oct. 13, 2012. Martin is a senior for Ball State and will be playing his last home game today.

Perhaps no other players besides senior linebackers Travis Freeman and Tony Martin have seen the highs and lows Ball State football has gone through in the past four seasons.

As freshmen, they saw playing time for a 2009 team that started the season 0-7. But in 2012, sitting at 7-3, the two linebackers are preparing to play Ohio in their final game at 8 p.m. in ScheumannStadium - with bowl implications on the line.

And in that span from their freshman to senior seasons, both Freeman and Martin have become near brothers to each another.

“It’s a brotherhood,” Freeman said of his relationship with Martin. “Any time you come to college you meet new friends. But he [and linebacker Justin Cruz] have become brothers to me. We’ve been through a lot together, but we’ve had each other to go to at the end of the day.”

Both Freeman and Martin chose to stick with Ball State after former coach Stan Parrish was fired after finishing under .500 for the second straight year. When Pete Lembo and his coaching staff arrived there were new schemes to learn.

“It’s been a wild ride facing adversity early in my career,” Martin said. “I’m proud of Travis and I’m proud of this team for never quitting. We stuck through and good things are happening. We’re just trying to make the most of these last games we have.”

Their decision to stay benefitted the Cardinals, as Freeman was named a co-captain for this season and Martin has been one of the biggest leaders for the defense.

And with becoming the leaders of the defense, it’s not a surprise to see them as the most animated players when they’re on the field. Whether its high-fiving and butting heads with another defender after making a tackle or yelling at the rest of the defense before a third down play, the two linebackers are right in the middle of it.

Being the defensive leaders wasn’t something they were appointed to do by the team, it’s their personalities that’s allowed them to step into that role.

“We’re just enthusiastic,” Freeman said. “But at the same time we’re out there having fun. We pride ourselves on having fun and doing our job.”

Tonight’s game against Ohio has more to it than just another Mid-American Conference game. For the first time ever, Ball State will be wearing black jerseys and a video board will be placed in the southeast corner of the stadium. One fan will have the chance to leave the stadium with a new vehicle as well.

Beating Ohio would give Ball State it’s eighth win of the season and further push Ball State’s argument for a bowl game. Knowing the state of Ball State football his freshman season, Martin said he didn’t expect his Senior Night to be hyped up to what it’s been.

“I didn’t expect it to come this fast,” Martin said. “I didn’t put a lot of thought into it. But if I had to pick a way for it to be, this is what it would be. It’s set up pretty nice.”

When Freeman and Martin walk off the field Wednesday night having played their final game at Scheumann Stadium, they’ll either be celebrating a fifth consecutive win or wondering what went wrong in a loss on their Senior Night. But even with all the gimmicks and promotions that Ball State will have at the game, there’s only one way it’ll make the final home game for Freeman and Martin perfect.

“With a win,” Martin said.