MUSIC FOR SANDY

Students, faculty attend benefit concert

James Helton plays “Dusk (The Hour Glass)” as part of Pianopalooza III presented Sunday night in Sursa Hall. Proceeds from Pianopalooza benefited victims of Hurricane Sandy. Piano faculty members Helton, Lori Rhoden, Ray Kilburn and Robert Palmer performed. DN PHOTO JOANTHAN MIKSANEK

As the effects of Superstorm Sandy continue to unravel, many music teachers in the Northeast have lost their homes, studios and instruments.

The Music Teachers National Association has stepped in to help.  

MTNA has decided to reach out and help by establishing the MTNA Superstorm Sandy Recovery Fund.

Pianopalooza III, presented by the Ball State piano faculty, took place on Sunday in Sursa Hall. The annual event features faculty members from the School of Music playing classic musical pieces.

“This fund will be used to aid and assist music teachers in the affected areas to reestablish their studios,” Gary L. Ingle, executive director and CEO of MTNA, said in a message to MTNA members.

The Ball State Chapter of MTNA decided to help out by collecting donations during Pianopalooza. 

Suham Bell, doctoral level student and president of the chapter, and Carson Weingart, vice president, were on hand at the event collecting donations.

“We are collecting donations before and after the concert,” Weingart said. “This is to help private teachers who work from home and have lost their entire livelihoods.”

The MTNA, through its foundation fund, made a contribution of $25,000 to initially establish the MTNA Superstorm Sandy Recovery Fund. 

When audience members walked into Sursa Hall, there was a table set up for donations where Bell and Weingart were stationed. The concert was free and open to the community.

Before the show began, Lori Rhoden, MTNA collegiate chapter adviser, asked the audience to be generous in donations and to help these music teachers during these very difficult times.

She spoke about how the association has helped teachers during past disasters, such as Hurricane Katrina.

“I care, and helping others is just the right thing to do,” said Tina Wolfe, who attended the show and donated after its end. 

To donate to the cause, students may contact Rhoden through the School of Music.