Ball State gets 15 mentions for All-MAC Teams

Thirteen members of the Ball State football team were named to the All-Mid-American Conference teams Wednesday, as announced by the league office. 

Of the 13 named players, five were named to the All-MAC First Team Offense. 

Wide receivers Willie Snead and Jamill Smith, tight end Zane Fakes, offensive lineman Austin Holtz and kicker Steven Schott were named to conference’s first team. 

Northern Illinois quarterback Jordan Lynch was named first team offense while Keith Wenning was named to the second team offense. 

On the second team defense, linebacker Travis Freeman and defensive end Jonathan Newsome were both named. 

Two offensive linemen in Jordan Hansel and Cam Lowry and running back Jahwan Edwards were named to the All-MAC Third Team Offense and cornerback Eric Patterson and defensive tackle Nathan Ollie were named to the third team defense. 

Smith also received mentions for the kickoff and punt return specialists on the third team, giving Ball State 15 total mentions for MAC teams. 

One name left off the All-MAC teams was Ball State punter Scott Kovanda. Kovanda is currently one of three finalists for the Ray Guy Award — an award for the nation’s best collegiate punter — but was not named to any of the MAC’s three teams. 

Snead leads the MAC and is currently 20th in the country in receiving yards with 1,070 yards. His 82 receptions ties him for 15th in the country with Toledo’s Bernard Reedy. 

Wenning is 33rd in the country in passing yards with 2,878 yards on the season and his 279 completions is 12th best in the country.