Ball State faces Toledo

Cardinals searching for fourth straight win to improve team's bowl bid chances

DN FILE PHOTO BOBBY ELLIS Quarterback Keith Wenning hands of to junior running back Barrington Scott in the match against Central Michigan on Oct. 20. The Cardinals will face off against Toledo tonight at Toledo.

Fresh off a 10-day break between games, Ball State football is looking to push its winning streak to four games tonight against No. 23 Toledo.

The Cardinals haven’t lost since the 35-23 loss to Northern Illinois on Oct. 6. Since then, the team has won three straight games, including two on the road. In those wins, the average margin of victory has been just more than eight points.

But in those victories, wide receiver Jamill Smith said it wasn’t a matter of just scoring more points than the opponent, the defense has been improving and making plays.

“These last couple games, they’ve had our back,” Smith said. “They’re the reason we’ve won these last couple games. We work off each other, and we’re starting to come together more.”

Starting fast will be a key for Ball State against Toledo, which has the third-best scoring offense in the Mid-American Conference at 34 points per game. But Ball State is right behind Toledo, averaging 33.7 points per game.

Both teams have similar numbers when it comes to scoring in the first quarter. Toledo has scored 71 points in the first quarter compared to Ball State’s 65. But both teams explode in the third quarter, with Toledo scoring 115 points and Ball State scoring 96 points.

“Every game is important to get off to a quick start,” Smith said. “Toledo is going to score a lot of points. We have to get off to a good start and keep the ball moving.”

Ball State’s success on offense has come from both the passing and the running game. Running back Jahwan Edwards needs just 51 yards to rush for 1,000 on the season and has nine touchdowns on the year.

But in terms of national numbers, Willie Snead is producing in the top 15 in the country. The sophomore wide receiver has 901 receiving yards on the season, which is 11th best in the country and is only seven yards behind Fresno State’s Davante Adams for ninth best.

Coach Pete Lembo said the first thing that jumps out about Toledo is the offense that’s led by quarterback Terrance Owens. Lembo said the left-handed quarterback does well at spreading the ball around and is still able to move the ball well even with the departure of wide receiver Eric Page.

He also gave high praise of running back David Fluellen.

“He’s one of the best we’ll see all year,” Lembo said. “He combines great speed, great vision. He changes direction well. He’s a bigger back, but he has the speed of smaller guys.”

But having more than a week to prepare for Toledo will surely be an advantage for Ball State, who is now playing the rest of the season to secure a bowl bid. With Northern Illinois winning over UMass on Nov. 3, Ball State was eliminated from contention to win the MAC West Division.

“It’s great, we get some time off our feet and watch them prepare,” Smith said. “Extra time is always better. We can get better on our game plan.”

But even though Ball State won’t be playing in the MAC Championship this season, a bowl game is still possible and getting a seventh win on the season at Toledo tonight would only help the team’s résumé to get an invite.