Ceremony to honor veterans

To honor many Ball State veterans who have served in the armed forces and are still serving, a campus group will host a ceremony in the L.A. Pittenger Student Center Ballroom.

The Student Veteran Organization will host the event at 11 a.m. Friday.

“I think people should come, because it’s a way to honor the veterans of our country and also those specifically affiliated with Ball State,” Emilee Wolfley, an intern with SVO, said. “It’s important that everybody understands that veterans have served their country to protect us and keep us free and safe, and it’s important we give back to them and show we care.” 

The ceremony will include the presentation of the colors by the ROTC, singing of the national anthem and a keynote speaker, Ball State alumnus Lt. Col. Kevin Faughnder. 

In addition, the presentation will include a bell ceremony to honor veterans. 

“It’s really quite moving,” said Beck Hannaford, veterans benefits and financial assistant coordinator. “Many other schools from around the country have picked it up for their Veterans Day.”

Hannaford encourages Ball State students as well as community members to come to the event. 

“They’ll find it’s a nice way to honor all Ball State veterans in the community for all they do over the years,” Hannaford said. “I find when I go to these kinds of things, it’s a very significant thing to do.” 

Ball State currently has about 420 veterans and family members. The university is unusual compared to other colleges in the way it treats military families, Hannaford said. 

“If you were a wounded warrior, your children can go to a public institution and get tuition assistance,” he said. “We treat the family members just the same way as the veterans.” 

Last year, about 50 to 100 people were in attendance, Wolfley said.