Campus residences allow pets, but only certain ones

Between studying and campus life, it can be tempting to make a stop at a local animal shelter or pet store to pick up an animal companion. 

You are not alone. The majority of Americans are pet owners. But it may be best to consider the costs and consult your landlord before making the commitment. 

In the United States, about 62 percent of all households own a pet — or 72.9 million homes.

Within that percentage, 78.2 million of those pets are dogs and 86.4 million are cats.

The cost of owning a dog or cat can range on average from $600 to $900 per year, including training, medical care, basic food and other supplies.

The yearly expense of a small dog, including license, basic supplies and medical care, totals to $420. The cost rises to $620 for a medium dog and $780 for a large dog.

Cats cost on average $610 — $170 for food, $150 for veterinary care, $50 for treats and toys, $175 for cat litter and $65 for other supplies.

There are 13 animal veterinarian clinics in Muncie. 

In the Ball State residence halls, according to the Pet Policy, pets other than “marine life in fresh water aquariums” are not allowed. 

Source: ASPCA.org, YellowPages.com

Some Muncie pet-friendly housing 

400 S. Nichols Apartments

400 S. Nichols 

Pets: cats, dogs less than 60 lbs

Fees: $30/month

College View Apartments

1515 W. Bethel Ave.

Pets: cats, dogs less than 60 lbs

Fees: $30/month

Normandy Apartments

3015 W. Bethel Ave.

Pets: cats, dogs less than 60 lbs

Fees: $30/month

Oaks Royale Apartments

1800 Royale Drive

Pets: cats, dogs less than 60 lbs

Fees: $30/month

Riverwood Apartments

2015 W. Godman Ave.

Pets: cats, dogs less than 60 lbs

Fees: $30/month

Sycamore Square Apartments

3905 N. Franklin St.

Pets: cats, dogs less than 60 lbs

Fees: $30/month

The 400 Apartments

818 W. Riverside Ave.

Pets: cats

Fees: $30/month

Windermere Place Apartments

3701 N. Marleon Drive

Pets: cats, dogs less than 50 lbs

Fees: $100 non-refundable fee, $10/month

A leasing agent for Warwick Apartments, which owns eight Muncie apartment complexes, said most tenants with these apartments have pets.

Biggest problem with pet owners:

“Most people don’t clean up after their pets, even though we provide bags and containers for owners to dispose of the waste. It’s the law to do so, and it’s not fair to the other tenants.”

Why renters allow pets:

“We allow pets because we know tenants would like to have their pets from home come and stay with them. If we didn’t allow them, they wouldn’t lease with us. Pets are good company.”

Sami Hallard, The 400 Apartments department manager, estimated “about 30 percent of tenants have pets.”

“Allowing pets have helped business because a lot of people are cat owners. When students move in here, they are away from their home and family and get lonely, so they get a pet to keep them company.”