Gora's presidential salary ranks 90th highest in report

Students aren't the only ones feeling the crunch of hard economic times. University faculty are feeling it as well.

In a recent report released by The Chronicle of Higher Education, Ball State president Jo Ann Gora is ranked 90th out of 199 total university presidents salaries, and her total pay for 2011 reached $422,040. Gora also rates third in compensation out of the top 6 public universities in the state, ranked right under Purdue University's Frances C+â-¦rdova.

The Chronicle also reported that Gora's salary in comparison to full university professors is four times as much, with tenured professors making an average of $109,000 annually. The faculty compensation rate at Ball State was reportedly so low, that the university ranks 146 out of 155 schools.

Hollis Hughes, president of the Board of Trustees, said Gora's salary is relatable to her individual contributions and performance at the university, and the university feels that offering her a competitive salary is the most beneficial route for the institution.

"We feel that we have been able to obtain what is best for Ball State," Hughes said. "We have an individual that is fully committed to the university, it's faculty and staff, the community and the state of Indiana."

Gora is most namely credited the universities strong emphasis on immersive learning, as well as increasing the university's continued commitment to expanding emerging media, and developing nationally ranked programs.

Eric Kelly, chairperson of the University Senate, said the decisions that determine presidential and faculty compensation are made separately.

"I think the board feels that the president has done a good job for them and they have to find the money to compensate her, so they've given her good raises," Kelly said. "The decisions about faculty pay are not made by the board, ultimately the board approves the budget, but they're made by the administration."

With 80 percent of the university budget going toward personnel compensation, Hughes said there isn't a lot of funds to work with beyond what the university already receives.

"The fact that our compensation is where it is at is not a disrespect to our faculty," Hughes said. "We try to do the very best we can."

Hughes said the board did provide a pay increase last year and this year, with this 2012's being a 3.5 percent increase.

In a statement Kelly gave to the Board of Trustees on May 4, he stated he has seen "lots of frustration and some anger among faculty and staff." Frustration in three areas, including money.

Kelly, who said he is unsure of what Ball State professors "should" be paid, said he is sure of one thing.

"Our pay is at the bottom of the pack - actually at the bottom of the MAC, which is not the 'pack' against which our strategic plan measures its aspirations," Kelly said. "Consider that fact in this context: last year the president got more than 10 percent increase while faculty and staff got less than 3 percent; we just hired a new athletic director roughly 50 percent more than his predecessor."

Going on to say that while Gora does a "terrific job" and it is understandable why the board would want to pay her well, the facts of the situation are discouraging from the perspective of an individual faculty member.

"But ... the issue of money is part reality," Kelly said. "As the president noted, the cost of living here is low; I have used that as a selling point when I have chaired search committees."

Kelly mentioned the names of three former professors from the last two academic years who have left the university, for reasons not specifically related to monetary issues, but for reason perhaps correlated to morale issues and being associated with the bottom of the pack.

Hughes said the fact that the universities compensation rate isn't what the board would like it to be, is something that they have limited control over.

"We obviously see it as a problem," Hughes said. "We really do care a great deal about our faculty."