University Police apprehends 2 juveniles for vandalism

Two Northside Middle School students were escorted off a Ball State shuttle by University Police on Monday afternoon after allegedly vandalizing cars on campus.

The students arrived on campus after the end of their school day. At least two juveniles began jumping on the hoods of at least three different vehicles located in the G1 parking lot near the North District Energy Station at approximately 3:20 p.m., according to incident reports.

The juveniles were spotted by a university shuttle bus driver who alerted UPD of the incident, said Bob Fey, associate director of Public Safety. The shuttle bus driver then met with UPD officers at the bus stop between the Art and Journalism Building and Teachers College on McKinley Avenue.

-รก

UPD matched up the shoe prints of the juvenile with prints left on the hood of a black 2012 Chevrolet Cruze, one of the cars damaged during the incident. Three vehicles, all belonging to university employees, were vandalized, causing approximately $1,500 in damages.

Fey said one of the students was sent home with a parent. The other juvenile's mother gave UPD permission to temporarily detain and interview him.

During the interview, the student said he was responsible for the acts of vandalism, Fey said. He was released to his parents and a juvenile referral form is being submitted to the courts.

Fey said the juvenile will be charged with criminal mischief by the state.

"I anticipate that other juvenile referrals may follow," he said.