TRACK AND FIELD: Ball State comes home to host Ball State Quad

Bishel wants improvement out of freshman Gray

With a rocky start to the indoor season, the Ball State track and field team hopes to improve scores this weekend as it hosts their first and only home meet of the indoor season. The Cardinals hosts the Ball State Quad in the Field Sports Building on Friday at 5 p.m.

With a less than impressive start to the season, assistant coach Ali Bishel said the team knows that it has to work hard this Friday against Western Michigan, Northern Illinois and Miami.

"Northern Illinois has the best team I have seen in six years," said Bishel "And Western Michigan beat us by a lot in our last face off this season."

Even with tough competition, Bishel is looking for her team to improve. That starts with freshman Jazmine Gray.

"I'm waiting for Jazmine to break out; she has the technique." Bishel said. "It is just doing it in a race."

Hosting the Ball State Quad doesn't provide as significant an advantage as it may seem for the athletes.

"Being home adds more pressure and they have to perform better for people they know," Bishel said. "I think it is good pressure."

Last weekend the team had seven top-10 finishes at the Hoosier Hills meet in Bloomington, Ind.

"Everyone is improving," Bishel said. "I'm just wait for the moment when everyone tapers and I will be excited for their times to drop, in whatever event it might be."

This Friday the team will have a chance to prove they have improved their times to home fans and supporters.

"I'm optimistic that we can do better and improve individual times, but as a team we are unpredictable," Bishel said.