GYMNASTICS: Ball State hopes to start putting the pieces together against Eastern Michigan

Walsh says team performed well last week despite losing to all three of its opponents

Between battling through several injuries and missing good opportunities, the Ball State gymnastics team's 2012 season has been a broken puzzle. Even as pieces begin to come together and take shape, setbacks break it apart again.

With a home meet against Eastern Michigan on Friday at 7 p.m., Ball State hopes to finally put all the pieces together. 

"We are excited to be back at home with our home crowd," coach Nadalie Walsh said. "Our home venue has just been amazing and awesome. I feel the girls compete really well at home and we are ready to blow them away."

Eastern Michigan is currently 2-5 overall and 1-2 in the Mid-American Conference while Ball State is 1-4 and 0-3 in the MAC. Ball State's one win of the season came against Illinois State, which beat Eastern Michigan earlier in the season. 

After losing last weekend to three nationally ranked schools, the Cardinals are hungry to take on the Eagles.

"We did a lot better than the numbers showed (last weekend)," Walsh said. "[The] team beat Auburn on bars. That is a really big statement; they are talented."

Freshman Brooklyn Schumacher and senior Julie Cotter both tallied high marks on bars last weekend. Schumacher tied for fourth place and Cotter tied for seventh.

"Julie Cotter and Brooklyn continue to be on top on bars," Walsh said. "They are hitting those 9.8 scores every time."

Junior Nicole Allen led vault last weekend, but junior Morgan Coslow is looking to upgrade her own vault score this weekend.

The high score on floor in the last meet came from sophomore Angie Hasbach with a 9.65, good for a twelfth place finish.

"Angie and Aftyn [Siemer] are continuing to be strong leaders on floor," Walsh said. "Every time they go out there they are hitting their routines."

Siemer is also a leader on beam along with junior Emily Wehrle.

"The girls are really, really hungry to put all the pieces together," Walsh said. "Every girl knows their piece of the puzzle and it is just time for all pieces to get put together."