Blue Bottle to close this weekend after 10 years

A local staple for many will brew its final pots of coffee Saturday before closing its doors after 10 years of business.

Blue Bottle Coffee Shop and Restaurant 2(oh!)4, both located downtown on South Walnut Street, will close after Saturday.

Blue Bottle sous chef Grant Michael said a main reason for the closure is due to location.

"Being away from McGalliard is a challenge for everyone down here," Michael said. "People love their chain foods, and it's hard to pull them away from the strip."

Michael cites this as one of the reasons why the business has never been majorly profitable and part of why the choice to shut down was made.

"It was kind of like we're not making a whole lot of money; we're just getting by," Michael said. "Now is our opportunity to step away before we maybe make a little bit more money, or sink Tom [Green, owner of the Blue Bottle,] further in debt."

Although this may be the end of the Blue Bottle in Muncie, Michael said future endeavors are in the works.

Michael said they are involved in plans to open a more upscale restaurant that will be located in Indianapolis. He said it will be more of a fine dining experience but will still carry a similar feel to the Blue Bottle.

Muncie's Blue Bottle Coffee Shop was first opened in the Village in February 2001. The business later relocated from the Village to downtown Muncie during spring 2004 as part of the continued revitalization of the downtown area.

In December of 2007, current owner and general manager Tom Green purchased the business. He later added Restaurant 2(OH!)4 onto the businesses offerings in November 2009.

The feel that the Blue Bottle possesses is part of the attraction to many of the restaurant's customers.

Shane Bennett of Farmland said even though he has only been to the coffee shop three or four times, he is going to miss the option. It's a great location to grab a cup of coffee when he's in Muncie, and he knows that whatever he gets will be of high quality.

"I expect good coffee and to have that cool, local kind of effect," Bennett said.

Since the closing of the business was announced, Michael said that they have received an outward show of support from the community.

"There's a lot of people that will come in and say that they are trying to save us," Michael laughed. "You know, jokingly, of course."

Although there has been a rise in sales since the announcement of the closure, it's still a done deal, Michael said.

Instead of taking something that could be depressing, Michael said that they are just having fun with it and trying to go out on a high note.

"It's been a lot of fun," he said. "The people that do come in and do support us love the food and love the atmosphere. There just weren't enough people."