MEN'S BASKETBALL: Jones named MAC West Player of the Week

Junior forward averaged 14.5 points, 10.5 rebounds in two games last week

Once again, Jarrod Jones is being honored for his efforts on the court.

For the third time this season and sixth time in his career, Jones has been tabbed as the Mid-American Conference West Division Player of the Week, the league announced Monday morning.

Coach Billy Taylor said Jones has simply been doing it all as of late.

"Jarrod's doing it all-around. It's been his jump shooting (and) his timely scoring late (in) games to give us leads," Taylor said. "Knowing we can throw the ball to him on the block or after a pick and roll situation and get him an opportunity."

Jones led the Cardinals to back-to-back MAC victories over Eastern Michigan and Central Michigan last week.

The last time that Ball State won back-to-back contests was over a month ago, during its seven-game winning streak.

The Cardinals are still undefeated against MAC West opponents at 8-0 this season.

Both wins kept Ball State tied at the top of the MAC West with a 9-5 conference record, and still in contention for the number two seed in the MAC Tournament next week.

In the two games, Jones averaged a double-double of 14.5 points and 10.5 rebounds per game.

Jones posted his 10th double-double on the season against Eastern Michigan last Wednesday, scoring 18 points and pulling down 14 rebounds.

In the second game, Jones scored 11 points and brought in seven boards. His all-around effort helped the Cardinals come back from a 23-point deficit going into the second half.

Taylor said Jones' unselfishness is being shown on the court as well. Jones has shown his willingness to kick the ball out to open guards, which has resulted in quality shots.

That unselfishness is critical, Taylor said.

"I like the way he's been playing. I think he's giving a much better effort on defense," he said. "He's going to need to continue to do that because Western (Michigan) is going to challenge him by throwing the ball in the painted area."