Lambda Chi Alpha introduced as new fraternity on campus

Ball State celebrated the addition of a new fraternity to its list of greek organizations Saturday when Lambda Chi Alpha received its charter.

The 40 brothers also received the title of "Founding Father" of Lambda Chi Alpha, Iota-Alpha Chapter.

"The mission of Lambda Chi Alpha is to offer the best fraternal experience, focusing on personal character development through leadership, scholarship, community service and positive social experiences," vice president Ryan O'Shea said.

The chapter received its charter after two years of being a colony, which is how long the approval process takes. O'Shea said the organization had to meet standards in philanthropy, community service, number of members and overall member participation in other campus activities.

"Our headquarters wanted to start up a chapter at Ball State, seeing how there are over 1000 students on this campus who are Greek," he said. "Ball State was an easy pick being only an hour away from headquarters in Indianapolis."

Some of Lambda Chi Alpha's prominent brothers include country singer Kenny Chesney, actor Will Forte, founder of ESPN Bill Rasmussen and former U.S. President Harry Truman, according to their website.

Students looking to get involved with Lambda Chi Alpha should contact recruitment chair Christopher Buck or attend one of their upcoming events. The organization will host an ultimate Frisbee tournament called "Spring Fling" that will benefit the Muncie ARF on March 27.

"We are looking to recruit men who believe in the seven core values that Lambda Chi holds: loyalty, duty, respect, service and stewardship, honor, integrity and personal courage," Buck said. "So any gentlemen who are looking for a true brotherhood based around these values, Lambda Chi wants you."