BASEBALL: Cardinals continue non-conference play in Music City

Ball State looks to solve road woes

Ball State (2-13) hasn't had much success on the road this season, but will look to solve its road woes against the Belmont Bruins (8-10) of the Atlantic Sun conference in a three-game series this weekend.

Junior right-hander Cal Bowling (1-1, 2.57 ERA) will be making his fifth start of the season tonight. Bowling is coming off his best start of the season, tossing 6 2/3 innings of four-hit baseball to notch his first win of the season.

Bowling will look to contain the Bruins offense, which averages just over five runs per game.

Sophomore left-hander Chase Brookshire (1-0, 3.33 ERA) will get the call for Belmont. Brookshire has collected a team-high 23 strikeouts in 24 1/3 innings of work this season.

Junior second baseman Mitch Widau leads Ball State offensively with a .381 batting average on the season. Widau has tallied 16 hits and leads the Cardinals with eight walks. He also has a .480 on-base percentage.

Senior shortstop T.J. Baumet is coming off of a separated shoulder, which he suffered over spring break. Baumet is second on the team with a .271 batting average and nine runs driven in on the season.

Junior center fielder Cody Elliott leads Ball State with 11 RBIs and 17 hits.

The Cardinals have struggled at the plate this season, averaging 4.7 runs per game while allowing 9.1 runs. As a team, Ball State is hitting just .241 while opponents are having better luck, hitting .333 off them.