REDS CARAVAN: Cincinnati Reds make visit to Muncie

Reds make stop in Muncie as part of Reds Caravan

For the past 15 years the Cincinnati Reds have taken part of a Reds Caravan, traveling around Indiana, Kentucky, Ohio and West Virginia to promote the team.

Over the weekend, the Reds Caravan continued its trip and made a stop at Stoops Automotive in Muncie.

About 500 Reds fans showed up to have a chance to meet and get autographs from members of the Reds including second baseman Brandon Phillips, radio broadcaster Marty Brennaman and top catching prospect Devin Mesoraco.

"It's for the fans, that's what it's all about," Phillips said. "It's about giving back to seeing how big Reds Country really is. We love our fans in Indiana and all over and it's crazy to see how many fans we have."

When the Reds arrived, they were introduced to the crowd and a question and answer session was opened to the crowd.

One child asked Phillips what college he attended.

"I attended the college of Major League Baseball," Phillips answered.

He said he never attended college but advised others to stay in school.

After the question and answer session, fans were lined up throughout the dealership that ended at a long table the Reds were sitting at.

Fans talked, joked and received autographs, which lasted the duration of the event.

Brennaman said he enjoys coming along on the Reds Caravan.

"I don't miss any of them," Brennaman said. "I've been on it every year they've had it. I enjoy doing it. For me, its another kick-off to baseball season."

Even Carter's Hot Dogs made an appearance at the event. Phillips later tweeted about how he enjoyed the food.

Brennaman said that Muncie being a college town influenced the Reds to make a stop in town.

"You have baseball fans on every college campus in the country," Brennaman said. "With a school this size, which is a very easy trip from here to Cincinnati and to attract the college crowd here at Ball State certainly makes a lot of difference."

After three hours of signing autographs and meeting fans, the Reds were pleased with the turnout from the Muncie crowd.

Brennaman said he expects to make future trips to Muncie.

"We always have a big crowd here, Brennaman said. "I would imagine that Muncie would be on our itinerary for years to come when we have our Caravan."

Tweet Phillips made:

@DatdudeBP I just had a Mike Carter hotdog in Muncie, IN! Delicious!!! Damn I want another one! Somebody hook a brother up!!!