MEN'S GOLF: Ball State looks for repeat title in own Cardinal Collegiate tournament

Match is played in Jasper, Ind., at SultanGÇÖs Run Golf Course

The Ball State University men's golf team plays host to the Cardinal Collegiate tournament today and tomorrow, but those Cardinals fans looking to attend in person have about a four hour drive ahead of them.

The match takes place at Sultan's Run Golf Course in Jasper, Ind., a mere 150 miles away from Muncie.

No matter where the tourney is held, however, Ball State has one thought on its mind: a repeat. The Cardinals are defending champions in the tournament after shooting a 591 last season.

Ball State will have to contend with a mixture of Midwestern talent in order to repeat, however. The Cardinals are joined today by Bowling Green, Cincinnati, Cleveland State, DePaul, Detroit Mercy, Eastern Kentucky, Evansville, IPFW, IUPUI, Marshall, Oakland, Valparaiso, Wright State and Youngstown State.

Ball State's team won't be the only one looking for a repeat in the event. Last season, as an individual, junior Anthony Novak earned medalist honors in the Cardinal Collegiate, carding a 144. Fellow junior Eric Steger counted as the best Ball State team finisher in the tournament, finishing in third place with a 146.

Today's action features a shotgun start and 36 holes, while the final 18 will be played tomorrow. At 6,862 yards, Sultan's Run Golf Course will play to a par 72.