CAMPUS LIFE, REDEFINED: Slate needs to make SGA relevant to students

Back on Feb. 15, after Student Connection was confirmed as the sole slate in contention for this year's Student Government Association election, few people would have blamed them for taking a breather.

Yet their willingness to continue to connect with students even after the result was essentially decided shows why this group is exactly what a struggling SGA needs right now.

The men and women working behind the scenes of Student Connection spent months preparing for the Nomination Convention, building a well-rounded slate and a solid platform. They crafted a logo, designed an interactive Web site, even ordered flashy cardigans splashed with their signature purple and silver color scheme. They were more than ready for a race that didn't happen.

But you'd never have known it from the way Student Connection reached out in the days leading up to their Senate confirmation. They attended hall councils, Interfraternity Council and Panhellenic Council, student organization committee meetings and campus events like Friday Night Filmworks and Late Nite.

They met hundreds of students, not to win over their votes but just to introduce themselves. The slate acknowledged that students deserve to know by whom they are being represented, and they used the time before their confirmation to spread the word.

It is obvious from the time I have spent with Student Connection that beyond their platform stands an overarching mission — one to connect, as their name suggests, with the students of this campus. That, more than any agenda item, could make them the best slate this campus has seen in some time.

The quiet engine of Student Connection has been campaign manager Nick Hewitt, a veteran who helped manage University Coalition's unsuccessful bid last spring. Student Connection's successes can be largely attributed to his efforts over the past year and his vision of an SGA slate that truly puts the students first.

President-elect Matt Whitlock brings steady leadership and calming diplomacy — critical factors for someone who will serve as the face of SGA. He doesn't shy away from the tough questions and has a strong understanding of Student Connection's larger vision.

Whitlock is countered by vice president-elect Whitney Hamblin. Full of spunk, Hamblin always has something interesting to say and brings a heavy dose of passion and energy to the table. There's no wondering if Senate meetings will be boring with Hamblin at the helm.

That leaves secretary-elect Juliana Abercrombie and treasurer-elect Ronnie Bell. Both bring plenty of experience across campus, Abercrombie in residence hall life and Bell in Greek Life and multicultural organizations. (Whitlock and Hamblin are also members of greek chapters).

However, with great expectation now comes great responsibility. Student Connection's most important task now is to reform SGA and make it relevant again in the eyes of students. The organization stands in a precarious place, now with three consecutive elections hampered by scandal or disinterest.

In my interviews with them, they have shown great passion and resolve to reach out to their senators and other student leaders on campus in an effort to build interest again in the organization. I have little doubt they will continue to connect with students and begin the process of reeducating Ball State on what SGA does and why it is important.

In hindsight, I now look at this past election season as a blessing in disguise. Yes, we once again went without a legitimate election, but the sole slate to stand up and take responsibility is well equipped to change all of that for the future.

If all goes well, Ball State students can look forward to an exciting, competitive election season next spring.