2 scholarships created for education, nursing students

Two scholarships have been created to help Ball State University students next semester.

Ball State received $25,000 from alumnus Jon White to create an education scholarship in memory of his parents.

White's parents, Ozora and Maxine White, were teachers in Central Indiana. Ozora White received his bachelor's degree in 1938 and his master's degree in 1947 from Ball State Teachers College. Jon White received his master's degree in 1979.

The Ozora T. and Maxine White scholarship is available for a graduate of a Madison County high school who is a sophomore, junior, senior or graduate student majoring in education. The student must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.

Ball State also received a $100,000 donation for scholarships from professor emeritus of telecommunications Darrell Wible last week.

The Evelyn Reynolds Wible Endowed Nursing Scholarship was created in honor of Wible's wife, who was a licensed registered nurse in Indiana, Ohio and Kentucky. She and her husband moved to Muncie in 1966.

Darrell Wible taught for 25 years at Ball State and is a member of the Indiana Broadcasters Pioneers Hall of Fame.

The scholarship will be available for senior nursing students with an interest in medical and surgical nursing; eligible candidates must have demonstrated scholastic achievements within the nursing curriculum and financial need.

Availability of the scholarships is dependent upon an award selection process established by Ball State and the department of scholarships and financial aid.

Students will be notified of these scholarships through their respective departments.