How to get to Sesame Street

Educational show has taught viewers ABCs, 123s and life lessons for the past 40 years

Today marks the 40th anniversary of the longest running children's television show. Since its debut on Nov. 10, 1969, the show has aired in more than 140 countries and has won 118 Emmy Awards. Its memorable characters, celebrity appearances and important lessons have made a mark on generations of viewers, and today, a new season emerges to continue that tradition.

Google has also recognized the occasion: Cookie Monster and Oscar the Grouch have greeted site visitors from behind its infamous letters this week.

It was "Sesame Street's" entertainment and educational factors that encouraged the creation of WIPB-TV, East Central Indiana's own public television station. The network began on Oct. 31, 1971, and credits its creation to "Sesame Street's" popularity.

Ball State University telecommunications professor Terry Heifetz can relate to the Cookie Monster. He said he doesn't believe his love of cookies was a direct response of watching "Sesame Street," but said it might have had an effect on him — and the giant, empty bag of chocolate chunk cookies in his office.

"Watching ‘Sesame Street' was one of my first memories of watching TV," Heifetz said. " ... and I have liked [cookies] for as long as I can remember."

Junior Spanish major Cherelle Dunn also acknowledges her "Sesame Street" allegiance to the Cookie Monster.

"I was definitely a PBS kid," she said. "I liked Cookie Monster before he was into vegetables."

Some of the other memorable characters include Big Bird, Bert and Ernie, Count Von Count, Grover, Snuffleupagus and of course, Elmo.

Graham McAllister, a fourth year student at Ball State, always considered Oscar the Grouch (who was orange instead of green when the program first aired) his favorite character from the series.

"I always felt bad for Oscar," he said. "Everyone made fun of him."

The show's longevity can also be credited toward the many celebrity guest appearances, including Jay Leno, Ellen DeGeneres, LL Cool J, Neil Patrick Harris, Ray Charles, Heidi Klum, Jack Black and Adam Sandler, who worked with the characters to teach different lessons. This season's premiere episode, "Frankly It's Becoming a Habit," will include first lady Michelle Obama, who helps Elmo plant a garden.

Musicians have also made guest appearances on the show. Dunn remembers when she missed the episode when her favorite group visited the puppets.

"I was upset when I missed the episode ‘N Sync was on," she said. "I was like, ‘No, they didn't just get on "Sesame Street!"'"

However, some viewers never paid attention to the stars beside the puppets.

"Famous people never mattered to me when I was 5," McAllister said.

The program doesn't forget about the adults — it continues to incorporate new TV shows by performing "Sesame Spoofs," which include Bruce Stringbean, "Law & Order: Special Letters Unit" and "Desperate Houseplants." The season premiere will also include a "Mad Men" parody, which can be seen at youtube.com.

However, adults who watched the show as children haven't forgotten "Sesame Street" either.

"It's a cultural thing now," Heifetz said.

He remembers watching shows like "Family Guy" make references of Sesame Street characters and was also reminded of the puppets in unusual ways.

"When working at a newsroom in Indianapolis, a co-worker said my laugh reminded him of The Count," Heifetz said.

Even though the staff was comprised of people from all over the country, he said, everyone knew who The Count was.

"Twenty years later, we still have memories of the characters," he said.

"Sesame Street" entertains children while teaching important lessons about literacy and numeracy. It also incorporates other life lessons. In 2004, it launched the Healthy Habits for Life initiative about childhood obesity. For the new season, it will debut a two-year science program called "My World is Green and Growing" to teach children about the environment.

Associate professor of telecommunications Dominic Caristi doesn't see an end in sight for "Sesame Street."

"It's not like a situation comedy," he said. "[‘Sesame Street'] has a new audience every year and can use segments from 30 years ago ... It's considered a service to kids and parents, why get rid of it?"

Heifetz still sees children as engaged to the program today as he was when he was 3 years old.

"The show still teaches good values, morals and the alphabet," he said.

He also admits the ‘healthier' Cookie Monster might have had a different effect on him in the past."Maybe I'd love vegetables more if [Cookie Monster] pushed it then as he does today."

Today's episode

"Frankly, It's a Habitat," A real-estate agent tries to persuade Big Bird to move to a warm climate by taking him on a virtual tour that stops at a beach, a swamp and a rain forest. Michelle Obama makes a celebrity guest appearance, showing how to build a vegetable garden and teaching kids about the importance of sustainable food.
The episode airs locally at 10 a.m. on WIPB-DT, channel 2.

Fast Facts

• "Sesame Street" celebrates its 40th anniversary today with its 4,187th episode.
  • "Sesame Street" debuted on Nov. 10, 1969 with Carol Burnett as the first guest.
  • It airs in 140 countries
  • Has won 118 Emmy Awards
  • It is "Sesame Street Day" in New York City where they will announce a temporary street name, (Columbus Ave. and 64th St.), in the show's honor.
  • An exhibition of photographs called "Sesame Street: The Longest Street in the World" debuts today at Washington D.C.'s Union Station.