Ball State to bring back national quiz team tournament

Ball State University students can now sign up for the National Academic Quiz Tournament.

Registration for teams of four began Monday for the Ball State tournament in the Office of Student Programs. The tournament will be held on Dec. 5 in L.A. Pittenger Student Center.

Matt Marshall, associate director for Student Center Programs, said teams will compete two at a time and answer academic questions, many which are provided by NAQT. The winning team will receive an all-expenses-paid trip to Bloomington to represent Ball State at the regional tournament at Indiana University in February.

Marshall said students could benefit from the tournament by earning a résumé booster and recognition.

"I think it's a good opportunity to represent Ball State at an academic level," Marshall said. "It's not only [good] for the school itself, but for [students'] individual accomplishments."

Ball State has a history of winning academic tournaments, he said. Ball State won College Bowl's national competition in 2008 after winning regionals.

Quiz Bowl discontinued College Bowl in 2008, causing Ball State to go without an academic recreation tournament last year. NAQT is a replacement for College Bowl, Marshall said.

According to NAQT's Web site, NAQT is similar to College Bowl, but has a few minor differences in rules, points and timing.

NAQT games consist of two 10-minute halves instead of eight-minute halves like College Bowl. NAQT also rewards answering a toss-up question early by giving an extra five points to the team who answers the question and allows teams to answer a toss-up question even if time runs out.

Marshall said 10 or 12 teams used to compete in Ball State's College Bowl, but he doesn't know how many students will sign up this year.

"We had more [than 12] before," he said. "We're just hoping for a good and successful tournament."