I-465 eastbound reopens today

Parts of Interstate 465 in Indianapolis reopened this morning with restrictions.

The Indiana Department of Transportation announced I-465 eastbound, from U.S. 31 (Meridian Street) to 56th Street on the city's northeast side, was expected to reopen at midnight Sunday. The left lane over the bridge, as well as the I-69 southbound ramp to I-465 southbound will remain closed through midweek.

The interstates were closed after Thursday's tanker explosion at the intersection of I-465 and I-69.

INDOT spokesperson Will Wingfield said the location is the most heavily traveled area of the Indianapolis metro.

"We made this a very high priority considering the importance of this interchange to not just local motorists but also interstate commerce," Wingfield said.

Crews are working day and night shifts to repair the bridge column that was damaged during the tanker explosion, he said.

Construction crews and contractors are working day and night shifts to repair the bridge column that was damaged during the tanker explosion, he said. There is no cost estimate on the column repairs yet.

Wingfield said Indiana has had "incidents" that involved its interstate bridges on a regular basis, but he can't remember an explosion of this nature. A couple years ago, a garbage truck damaged the 96th Street bridge at the intersection of Meridian and Michigan streets because the truck left its hydraulic arms lifted while traveling underneath the bridge.

• I-69 southbound ramp to I-465 southbound: CLOSED
  • I-465 northbound ramp to I-69 northbound: OPEN
  • I-69 southbound ramp to I-465 westbound: OPEN
  • Binford Boulevard northbound ramp that loops up to enter I-465 westbound: OPEN
  • I-465 eastbound ramp that loops down to enter I-69 northbound: OPEN
  • I-465 eastbound ramp to Binford Boulevard southbound: OPEN