Speaker discusses German history

3rd annual event focuses on national and global affairs

Late professor Erdogan Kumcu left his mark at Ball State University during his 20 years as a professor at the Miller College of Business, and a memorial lecture series has been set up in his honor.

In recognition of Kumcu's efforts to establish a foreign exchange program in Germany, the keynote speaker of the third-annual lecture offered a comparative history of Germany and the United States. Arnd Bauerkamper, a professor of history at the University of Berlin, gave the address, titled "The Quest for Democracy: Germany in the 20th Century."

During his speech, Bauerkamper explained Germany's struggle toward a stable government system. Because Germany was defeated in World War I, the country was seeking security, and they found it initially in the forms of authoritarianism and capitalism.

"Democracy had to be adapted to Germany's conditions and traditions," Bauerkamper said. "It's something Germans are proud of today. The system was influenced by the United States, but we see it as our democracy."

Ray Montagno, associate dean at the business college, is the administrator of a memorial fund established in Kumcu's honor to ensure that his impact at Ball State will not soon be forgotten, Montagno said.

During his time at Ball State, Kumcu focused on globalization and national affairs. He also helped establish many European exchange programs.

"He saw the world without national boundaries," Montagno said. "It was fun traveling with him. We took students to Turkey to develop opportunities for study abroad programs. We've traveled to Portugal, Spain and Germany together."

Among the crowd of about 80 students, faculty and community members was Kumcu's wife, Emine.

Emine Kumcu attained an MBA and a master's in communication and information sciences from Ball State while Erdogan Kumcu was teaching. She now works at the Lilly Foundation in Indianapolis.

"I like coming to these memorial lectures," Emine said. "We met in high school, in 1970, and we sort of grew up together. I traveled with him to Germany when he participated in the DAAD program."

DAAD is a foreign exchange program for students and professors. The German acronym translates in English to "European Studies and Exchange Programs." Bauerkamper is also taking part in the DAAD, which has allowed him to teach at Ball State this semester.

"This program was founded after World War I, when academics were in need of jobs," Bauerkamper said. "It is government supported. After 1945, it supported German refugee scholars and exchange programs for students."

Among other things, Kumcu will be remembered for implementing several international exchange programs at Ball State.

"He was my colleague and my friend," Montagno said. "He did a lot for this college and I will really miss him."