Relay for Life participants keep walking despite bomb threat

More than 20 tents scattered across LaFollette Field lay vacant early Saturday morning as Ball State University's Relay for Life event had a sudden change of venue.

The entire Relay congregation moved into Worthen Arena because of a bomb threat at LaFollette Complex across the street. Yet, members of the event never stopped walking.

Instead of LaFollette Field, they used the arena court.

Tony Feden was perched four rows from the top of the area, taking in the more than 20 people circling the court. Feden said he is a cancer survivor and his father died from cancer. He also had three daughters participating in the event.

"I drove here from Lafayette to participate with my daughters," he said. "I was sleeping when they told us to go inside, but I'm not surprised everyone kept walking."

Students who weren't on the arena court walking, throwing a Frisbee or turning a blue kickball into a makeshift basketball, tried to sleep in the stands. Their sweatshirt pillows and mp3 headphones proved to be enough to keep them comfortable, but as time went by, people inside the arena started to ask for details about the events happening outside.

Students with Internet access - mostly via laptop or iPhone - became the center of attention, updating others with information from friends or local news Web sites.

One hour into the confinement, students stopped worrying and kept walking. A two-man guitar team formed in the court's north corner, strumming to whatever they knew and teaching each other new chords.

Sophomore Collin Nedderman said this is his first time relaying and he has enjoyed it, despite the disruption.

"It really shows the dedication of everyone here to continue to walk," he said as he strolled around the court. "There's no good reason to stop now."