Hundreds walk to raise funds for Multiple Sclerosis research

Doctors Mike Seiele and Arnold Carter have spent much of their lives saving other people.

For about the last 30 years, they've used their medical knowledge to help save their own lives.

On Saturday Carter, Seiele and their families gathered at Worthen Arena for the annual Multiple Sclerosis walk.

Dorothea Bragg, community development manager for the National Multiple Sclerosis Society, said more than 200 people showed up for the event to raise money for research into finding a cause and a cure for MS.

Members of Ball State University's Code Red dance team volunteered at the walk. Senior member Ingrid Mercado said this has become a tradition for the team, whose former coach is actively involved in the fight against MS.

"It's good for us to do something like this," Mercado said. "It makes us thankful, and I think it helps to have us around just smiling and showing our support."

In 1974, Carter noticed the symptoms of MS. Shortly after, both men were diagnosed with the chronic central nervous system disease that can be debilitating or even fatal if not properly treated.

Seiele said many patients have relapses of early symptoms, making them doubt if anything is wrong.

"It strikes at the prime of life," he said.

Carter said because of his medical background, he knew something was wrong before he was diagnosed with MS.

"Being a physician changes your attitude about things," Carter said. "I'm better prepared to handle it as a physician."

At the time of his diagnosis, Seiele was finishing his residency as a family practitioner at Ball Memorial Hospital. He said MS caused him to change his career path to becoming the director of the Amelia T. Wood Health Center from 1981 to 2001.

During his time as director, Seiele said, he commissioned a $1 million renovation project that updated the facility to the way it is now.

"At first, you think about what you can't do," he said. "You think you're going to die in the next five years, all those morbid things. But then you focus on what you can do instead of what you can't."

Both Carter and Seiele have chronic progressive multiple sclerosis and use power wheelchairs to assist with their mobility. Both are active members of the community.

Carter, who practiced medicine in Muncie, said this summer he will be attending his 40 year medical school reunion in Indianapolis.

"I'm still able to do things. It was a matter of reconciling myself to the reality that there are things I'm unable to do," he said. "MS people are still a functional part to society and as deserving as anyone else."