GYMNASTICS: Well-rested Cardinals travel to Michigan for pair of meets

The Ball State University gymnastics team will head to East Lansing, Mich., Sunday for a 2 p.m. meeting with Michigan State University and the University of California, Berkeley.

The Cardinals (3-9, 1-5 Mid-American Conference) enter the meet averaging a team score of 191.211 per meet and an event-high score of 48.350 on the vault.

After completing nine meets, Cardinal average team scores are rounded off with a 47.891 on the uneven bars, 47.175 on the balance beam and a score of 47.738 on the floor routine.

For the first time in weeks, head coach Nadalie Walsh will direct her team on sufficient amounts of rest. The majority of the team is recuperated, rested and ready to go, she said. But the statuses of Teresa Phipps, Katelyn Busacker and Amanda Davies are still questionable, Walsh said.

"We had a few minor injuries on Tuesday, and [Phipps, Busacker, Davies] sprained their ankles," Walsh said. "We're just hoping that if we give them these next two days, they'll be better by Sunday. If not, we may have to rest them to guarantee a good meet [next week] at [the University of] Arizona."

Prognoses of the ankle sprains will be revealed only as quickly as time will tell, Walsh said.

If the three are unable to compete, the Cardinals might face competing without a full lineup, Walsh said.

"We're not sure right now, but I'm hoping for the best," Walsh said. "I think they are very tough gymnasts, and they'll be able to pull through, but it's just a question in my mind right now. Every day gets a little better."

Walsh said she hopes both of the Cardinals' opponents Sunday will operate on short rest.

Michigan State University competes tonight at 7 p.m. when it plays host to Auburn University. California travels to Kalamazoo, Mich., to take on Western Michigan University, also a 7 p.m. slating.

"I know that when we competed on a Thursday and then a Sunday, our Sunday was not the best for us," Walsh said of the opponents' short recovery time. "So, maybe we'll be lucky and they won't have their best meet and we will. We're going to keep doing what we've been doing."