Businesses prepare for Irish holiday

Restaurants, bars to celebrate with menu specials, live music

While students can't kiss the Blarney Stone to get the luck of the Irish, that doesn't mean they can't go to Muncie businesses for a swig of green beer and to enjoy Irish cuisine.With St. Patrick's Day here, Muncie bars and restaurants will offer patrons food and drink specials, while some will provide live music.

Morton's Pub and GrubStacy Morton, manager of Morton's Pub and Grub, said the restaurant will have live music played by the band Walden's Song beginning at 7 p.m. followed by Pray for Mojo starting at 11 p.m.

The menu will also include specials such as Scotch Eggs, Bangers and Mash and Irish Bacon and Cabbage, she said. The restaurant will also serve Chicago River, Murphy's and Guinness beers on tap for the holiday, she said.

Morton said she was expecting a big crowd and spent Sunday preparing the restaurant for a busy day.

Scotty's Brewhouse Beau Hurley, manager at Scotty's Brewhouse, said the bar has done things for St. Patrick's Day for years and it will have several Irish dishes on the menu.

The bar will offer several food items for the holiday such as corned beef and cabbage with a side of mash potatoes, Guinness-braised beef and lamb stew, he said.

The bar will have Irish beers such as Guinness, Harp and Smithwick's available and will sell 16 ounces of green Coors Lite for $3.25, he said.

Hurley said the bar will have Irish pub music playing during the day and employees are preparing for a busy day.

"We have a pretty loyal following that eats up the stuff we offer," he said.

Doc's Music HallKatie Papper, assistant manager at Doc's Music Hall, said they will have three local bands playing on St. Patrick's Day.

Guitarist Bryce Taylor will begin playing at 7 p.m., and then Red Light Remedy and The Michael Martin Band will play later that evening, she said.

Doc's will offer $2 pitchers of green Budweiser Lite, $2 Jagermeister shots and $3 Jagermeister bombs, she said. The bar will also have half-price appetizers from 4 p.m. to 9 p.m., she said.

Papper said there is no cover charge and they expect a large crowd to come for St. Patrick's Day. She said she hopes to see a large portion of the student body in attendance.

HeorotAndy Miller, a bartender at Heorot, said the bar will offer food items such as Scotch Eggs and Guinness for the St. Patrick's Day festivities.

He said Irish dancing will start at 8 p.m. and the bar will be offering Smithwick's and Guinness beer.

Beef'O'Brady'sMatt Shepherd, Beef'O'Brady's bartender, said the restaurant will have pitchers of green Miller Lite and Bud Lite for $6 and will be selling domestic pints for $1.

The restaurant will also have a special for corned beef and cabbage for $6.99, and the restaurant will be raffling off T-shirts and gift cards.