No slates running in SGA 2008 elections

First time since at least 1997 that nobody wants to be president

With about three weeks until the 2008 Student Government Association presidential elections, nobody showed up to the nomination convention Monday night to show their interest in running.

Lynda Wiley, director of the Office of Student Life, said she began working at Ball State University in 1997 and this was the first time since then that no students announced they were going to run. She did not remember hearing that ever happening even before 1997, she said.

"There's always been at least one slate running," Wiley said about nobody showing interest in running at this time. "I'm not trying to read too much into it. I think it could be a variety of factors."

Kyle Johnson, president of the Elections Board, said the board decided to have another nomination convention Feb. 21. He said he hoped students would use that extra time to form their slates.

"I think we'll get people this time," he said.

The Elections Board has to remain neutral and cannot encourage certain individuals to run, Johnson said. The board is going to advertise more and ask SGA senators to let their constituents know about the elections, he said.

Wiley said there were about 10 elections packets and all were taken. She said even though all the packets were taken she did not know if people were interested in running as individual senators or as slates because both had to fill out the same forms. If nobody shows up to the second convention, Wiley said, it would have to continue being pushed back until people did.

SGA President Betsy Mills said because the convention was moved, a voting day was taken away so students would be more accessible.

Normally students get three days to vote, but now voting is scheduled for Wednesday, March 5 and Thursday, March 6, she said. If voting were kept at three days it would go through March 7 and not as many people would probably vote on that Friday before break, she said.

If students did express interest in running for office Monday night, Mills said, there would have been two weeks for campaigning with elections being held the last week of February.

"We don't want to lose students to Spring Break, but we still want the elections before then because that's when our term is up," Mills said.

She said if nobody showed up to the convention for a second time, she did not know what would happen.

"I think it's unprecedented," she said.

Mills said she was surprised nobody showed interest in running because every year since she had been at Ball State there was an "heir apparent." She said there also were more promotions for the elections this year through all-campus e-mails, WCRD and giving the SGA senators a presentation about how to run, which they could take back to their constituents.

"For whatever reason there's no person that really thought they were the best for it," she said. "We've all talked about it until we're blue in the face, but either you run or you don't. I think after people see nobody is running we'll see two or three slates, and I encourage that."

Students who have a good leadership background, are informed about campus and want to make a difference should run, Mills said.

"It's an intimidating position and hard work, but it's incredibly rewarding," she said.

When asked if she had any intentions on staying and running again Mills said with a smile, "No comment."

Run for office

To run for office a student must have at least a 2.7 GPA, 45 credit hours and 400 signatures. There is a $225 fee for the slate, but the money will be refunded unless fines are implemented.

Students who are interested in running but do not know much about the Student Government Association are encouraged to attend the weekly meetings 3:15 p.m. Wednesday in the L.A. Pittenger Student Center.