OUR VIEW: Must-see debate

AT?ISSUE:?Ball State students should watch SGA slates' last public exchange, be informed for election

Student Government Association slates Vote Bare and U.N.I.T.E.D. Initiative will go head-to-head in a debate today. The debate, which will broadcast live on campus channel 57 and cable channel 61 from 7:30 to 8:30 p.m., is the only time students have to listen to the slates square off about hot topics and initiatives.

You should watch.

Monday, a presidential debate took place and each side had few students to back them up. Today's debate will include all four members of both slates and will be accessible anywhere with a TV.

To choose the best of two slates, Ball State University needs involved and informed students on campus to vote. Today's debate is the last scheduled time for the slates to publicly address concerns side by side. With this in mind, students who plan on voting won't be fully informed if they don't watch the debate.

SGA is a valuable avenue for students to express their opinions and promote change on campus. As students, everyone has an opinion about something on campus. SGA is one of the methods to voice those opinions.

Voter turnout for SGA elections has lacked in the past. Hopefully, this is because students who didn't take the time to get informed decided not to vote. This year, every student who can should watch today's debate to inform themselves as much as possible.

Both slates have their initiatives and plans posted online and otherwise, but this doesn't mean constituents should ignore the debate. Although the written initiatives are an important aspect of being informed, today's debate offers one last chance to watch each slate's personality and character, along with their initiatives - all side by side.

Voting will take place Monday and Tuesday next week. To ensure the best slate is elected, it's vital that students have every piece of information they need to make the right choice. Make another right choice and watch today's debate.