BASEBALL: Series offers Ball State chance at division title

Cards enter set today with half-game lead over Central Michigan

The Ball State University baseball team enters a three-game series today with a chance to win the Mid-American Conference West division title.

The Cardinals play Central Michigan University at 3 p.m. Thursday, then again at 1 p.m. on Friday and Saturday.

The winner of the three-game series will be named MAC West champion. Ball State currently has a half-game lead over the Chippewas. However, if Central Michigan takes two of three games from the Cardinals, and Eastern Michigan University sweeps Western Michigan University, the Chippewas and Eagles could share the division title.

Sophomore outfielder Justin Rogers said the team is looking forward to the series.

"We're excited about this weekend," Rogers said. "Especially now that there's a conference title at stake, that makes it even more exciting for us."

Coach Greg Beals said performing well in this series will be important as the team enters the MAC tournament Wednesday.

"The key is that we continue to play good baseball," Beals said. "It's important that we keep our momentum going."

Ball State continued its 11-win streak Tuesday, defeating Indiana University 5-3.

The 32-18 Cardinals were able to come up with runs in the late innings, breaking a 3-3 tie in the seventh inning.

The Cards secured their victory by adding another run in the eighth inning.

This is the team's third straight win over the Hoosiers (22-30).

Beals was glad to see his team able to keep the winning streak going.

"We're playing really good right now," Beals said. "[Indiana] is in a bit of a transition, so those games will get tougher, but we just went in there and outplayed them."

The Cardinals' game-winning run in the seventh inning came on a 2-2 rally.

Rogers got on base with a single and was moved to second base after C.J. Webb reached on an error. Kyle Dygert then drove in Rogers with a single to left center field.

Eric Earnhart added an insurance run in the eighth.

Rogers went 3 for 5 in Tuesday's game, improving his team-high batting average to .345. He has also been a spark during the team's winning streak, hitting .556 in the last 11 games.

"I haven't really done anything differently," Rogers said. "I've settled into a groove. I'm seeing the ball real well. And hitting behind a guy like Brad [Miller] helps, I just try to go up and follow what he does."

Ball State took the lead in the top of the second on an RBI single by Webb.

The Hoosiers added two in the bottom of the inning and held a 2-1 lead until Dygert tied it in the sixth, driving in Rogers with a sacrifice fly.

The Cards added another run to take the 3-2 lead on an RBI single by Earnhart, which drove in Jon Byerly who was hit by a pitch and moved over to second on a Brian Meyer walk.

Indiana tied the score at 3-3 in the bottom of the sixth on an RBI single by Chris Hervey before the Cardinals scored the winning runs in the seventh and eighth innings.

Rogers said he is optimistic about the team's outlook in the MAC West tournament, echoing his coach's expectations regarding the team's chances.

"We've been playing good baseball the last couple of weeks," he said. "Our pitching is solid, our hitting is starting to come around. I think we've had at least 10 hits a game during our winning streak."

And despite great individual efforts, Beals said it's still all about the team as a whole.

"It's been a team effort all year," Beals said. "Some games some guys step up, and others don't do so well, but we know those guys are going to have our backs the next time."