LETTERS: Minority student's mother worries about safety, respect on campus

Dear Editor,

I am writing as a parent concerned for the safety of my daughter who attends Ball State University.

My daughter, Eden South, is under constant harassment from community members who call her and her friends "niggers," from uninterested police - both local and campus - who discount complaints from black students regarding harassment and who badger any groups of more than 10 black students.

When 20 of them were sitting in a campus field tonight, they were told to "get the fuck out of here" and were cursed at and harassed by the police who arrived.

My daughter is a law-abiding, extremely dedicated student who cares about her school and Muncie and would like the same respect from them.

With the school being honored as the top wireless campus in the nation, all eyes need to now focus on the treatment of minority students on campus and in the community.

Only a few months ago, news stations from Indianapolis did stories on the harassment and it has only gotten worse.

My daughter and her friends should be able to feel safe where they attend class and pay tuition.

Also, my daughter's report of a stalking incident went uninvestigated and police never got back with her to take her statement.

The students have talked to Channel 13 news, Alan Hargrave the associate dean of student affairs, Ed McNeary of the NAACP and now I am mailing the Daily News as a concerned parent.

I would like an investigation on what the community and the campus police are doing to make sure these students are safe.

I want to know that my daughter's safety is a concern for the people in charge.

Discrimination and harassment should not go unchecked in 2006.