'Jailbirds' spend hour locked up to raise funds for MDA

Ball State students, others volunteer for annual event

Ball State University students and faculty members will volunteer to spend an hour in "jail" to raise money for the Muscular Dystrophy Association's annual Muncie Lock-up event. The event will last from 9 a.m. until 4 p.m. today.

Cari Peterson, a Ball State alumna and program coordinator for the North Central District of MDA, said drivers would pick up local business professionals and Ball State students who had volunteered their time to be locked up. The drivers take the volunteers to a jail at Slater Hawkins restaurant in Muncie. Those who volunteer will get their mugshot taken behind jail bars, she said.

"The jailbirds will be provided food and cell phones so they can call family members and friends asking to help bail them out of jail or pay to keep them in jail," Peterson said.

According to the MDA Web site, the organization partners scientists and citizens to help stop neuromuscular diseases, which affect more than a million Americans.

Peterson said MDA combats 43 neuromuscular diseases through programs of worldwide research, comprehensive medical and community services and far-reaching professional and public health education.

Laura Mercer, freshman president of Circle K, a Ball State service organization, said the event sounded like a lot of fun and the money would help a good cause. About six members of Circle K will participate in the jail-bird event, she said.

Circle K has about 22 members and has done volunteer events in the past such as helping with the Indianapolis 500 race, having a teeter-totter event, going to the Westminster Retirement Home to visit with the elderly, participating in an after-school tutoring program and reading to daycare children.

Peterson said the jailbirds were called six weeks to one month ahead of time so they could start collecting bail. If the jailbird raises their bail (set at $1,000), they get a thank you and a plaque for their efforts.

"Seventy-six cents for every dollar raised goes directly to patient services," she said. "The rest of the money stays in the North Central District."

Mercer said Circle K was asked about three weeks ago to help with the event.

Peterson said, as a Ball State alumna, she found community service and involvement were a crucial and wonderful part of her college experience. This has led her to an organization to pursue her career while still giving back to the Muncie community, she said.

"I cannot even imagine what it is like to be lying in a bed and not be able to say anything to your loved ones," Peterson said. "It must be extremely difficult to know what is going on but have a tube down your throat and not being able to share how you feel."

Mercer said she had never done anything like this before, but she was looking forward to the new experience.

"This event is something different than traditional muscular dystrophy events where you just collect money," she said. "I like the theme. The event sounds organized and we are excited to help out."