Freshman suspected of dealing ecstasy

Police say student sold drugs to undercover task force agent

A Ball State University freshman could face more than 20 years in prison after he was arrested on suspicion of selling ecstasy to an undercover drug agent, police said Wednesday.

Andrew Lascano remained in jail Wednesday after he was arrested Tuesday in connection with an ongoing investigation, officials said.

Muncie-Delaware County Drug Task Force agents said Lascano, 18, 615 N. Dicks St., Apt. 5, had 52 ecstasy pills and about three-fourths of a pound of marijuana in his apartment. He was being held without bond Wednesday at the Delaware County Jail, officials said.

Officials with the drug task force said Lascano could face two counts of dealing a schedule I controlled substance and a single count of possession of a schedule I controlled substance, which are class B and D felonies, respectively.

A class B felony could result in 15 to 20 years in prison and a class D felony could result in 1 1/2 to three years in prison, police said.

Lascano's brother, Ball State senior Alex Lascano, said he was surprised his brother was arrested for selling drugs.

He said Andrew Lascano was a "good kid" and was a National Honors Society student in high school. He said his brother was also an all-conference athlete for football two years in a row.

Alex Lascano said his brother would be in jail until he saw a judge, but his family did not know when that would be.

Dave Fried, director of Student Rights and Community Standards, said a serious drug case was an offense punishable by suspension.

When a Ball State student is arrested for drugs, the University Review Board makes a decision on the actions taken toward the student, he said. The review board makes a decision from reprimand to expulsion based on the circumstances of the case, evidence and a student's prior record.