BASEBALL: Fighting Irish end Cardinals' streak at eight in come-from-behind win

Ball State unable to hold onto 4-3 lead in seventh inning

After coming from three runs behind to take a one-run lead in the seventh inning, the Ball State University baseball team couldn't replicate the achievement a second time, losing 6-4 to the University of Notre Dame.

Down 6-4, Ball State's top of the order came to bat in the top of the ninth. But lead-off hitter Mike Sullivan struck out swinging, catcher Matt Singleton fouled out and first baseman Brad Miller flied out to end the game.

"We got a couple big hits to score multiple runs," coach Greg Beals said. "Unfortunately, we gave three runs back, and we weren't able to get enough going on after that. Their pitching was solid. I thought our guys fought hard and played a good game."

The loss ended an eight-game winning streak by the Cardinals.

"The winning streak wasn't anything we were talking about as a team," Beals said. "You obviously want to keep a winning streak going."

Sullivan singled to center field, scoring two to tie the game 3-3 in the top of the seventh. After Sullivan stole second, catcher Matt Singleton singled to score Sullivan, giving Ball State its first lead of the game.

Notre Dame took the lead back when second baseman Ross Brezovsky sent a two-run home run over the right field wall. Earlier in the inning, left fielder Matt Bransfield hit an RBI double to score right fielder Danny Dressman to tie the game.

Notre Dame scored two runs in the second when Greg Lopez hit a two RBI triple, scoring center fielder Alex Nettey and third baseman Brett Lilley.

The Irish could have done more damage in the fourth when, with one out, Nettey singled and Lilley doubled, advancing Nettey to third base. But Ball State starting pitcher Ryan Schmidt ended the inning with consecutive strikeouts against Lopez and catcher Cody Rizzo.

The freshman pitched four innings, allowing two runs and five hits while striking out four. It was his fourth start of the season.

In the fifth, Notre Dame extended its lead to three when designated hitter Jeremy Barnes drove an RBI double into right field, scoring first baseman Craig Cooper.

Ball State finally tallied a run in the bottom of the sixth when third baseman C.J. Webb singled, scoring center fielder Mike Sullivan.

Webb led with two of the team's eight hits. Six other batters finished with a hit, including Miller and right fielder Justin Rogers, both of whom extended their hitting streak to nine. Webb is also on a hitting streak of his own, at eight.

The Cardinals could have done more damage in the sixth when second baseman Kyle Dygert reached first base on a catcher's interference call, also advancing Webb to second, but left fielder Chris Pestle struck out when relief pitcher Joey Williamson relieved starter Wade Korpi.

"As far as our long-term plans, beating Notre Dame, losing to Notre Dame, that doesn't really matter," Webb said. "It's nice to carry a long winning streak, but it really doesn't matter."