BSU official takes job at another institution

University of Indianapolis hires two BSU administrators in year

For the fifth time since President Jo Ann Gora began at Ball State University in 2004, the school has lost another administrator.

Deborah Balogh, interim provost and vice president of academic affairs, has been hired as the provost at the University of Indianapolis. Balogh will begin her position at the University of Indianapolis on June 15, according to Friday's press release.

The announcement came a day after the announcement of Ball State's new provost, Terry King, who will take office July 17.

Balogh could not be reached for comment.

University of Indianapolis President Beverley Pitts served as Ball State's provost until last June when she resigned and Balogh took over as interim provost.

Pitts said her previous seven or eight years working with Balogh had no effect on her decision for provost.

"I didn't bring her to this campus, the campus brought her to me," Pitts said. The University of Indianapolis conducted a national search and attracted about 60 applicants, she said.

Pitts chose Balogh in part because of her experience working with graduate education programs, she said. Balogh served as dean of the Graduate School at Ball State for six years.

"She'll have the usual large portfolio that provosts have," Pitts said, "but her experience with assessment and accreditation as well as her experience with graduate education was a great addition."

Pitts said she knew Balogh had lots of other opportunities and was glad Balogh showed interest University of Indianapolis. Out of the four finalists, Pitts said Balogh was the strongest candidate that came forward.

"As a resident of Indianapolis, I've been watching the university's reputation and community presence grow," Balogh said in the press release, "and I'm impressed by the entrepreneurial spirit I see in its business and community collaborations."

Balogh joined the Ball State faculty in 1981 and has a bachelor's in psychology and master's and doctoral degrees in clinical psychology from Bowling Green State University in Ohio.