OUR VIEW: Lisec for president

At Issue: Professionalism, not platform, leads Daily News to support Team Lisec

The Daily News editorial board endorses Team Lisec in the SGA presidential slate election - but not without contention. While the majority of the board voted to endorse Team Lisec, several members would've preferred we support The Cardinal Movement and others wanted no endorsement at all.

As we mentioned Wednesday, neither slate truly pushed itself to the forefront regarding platform issues or solid plans for connecting with students. Both slates have ideas and goals, but neither campaigned on a platform that impressed the editorial board significantly more than the other slate's.

This year, the race wasn't about the issues: It came down to professionalism.

Throughout the campaign, Team Lisec has been prepared and professional in presenting its goals, while The Cardinal Movement has taken a more relaxed approach. From posters to Web sites to personal appearances at organization meetings, Team Lisec seems to have put more thought and effort into the campaign process - hopefully indicating the thought and effort the members will put into their executive positions, if they win.

Team Lisec also has the advantage of SGA experience - three of the four slate members hold positions in SGA, while none of The Cardinal Movement's candidates are currently involved in student government. With extensive first-hand knowledge of the SGA process, as well as working relationships with a number of administrators, Team Lisec is familiar with not only how SGA works but how to make it work for students. The Cardinal Movement, though enthusiastic about making change, would have the immediate challenge of learning to navigate the SGA and administrative systems before its members could make a noticeable difference in students' lives.

There are several members of our editorial board who consider the philosophy proposed by The Cardinal Movement to be a good means for changing the way SGA works. And perhaps Team Lisec, if elected, should work with The Cardinal Movement to find compromises between their ideas of SGA's future, in the interest of meeting the needs of the students who support The Cardinal Movement's plans. But because the job of an SGA executive slate is to represent the student body and to pass legislation that will improve student life on this campus, Team Lisec has the appropriate experience, attitude and professionalism to ensure progress during the term of office.

Whether other students agree with the majority of our editorial board or those in support of The Cardinal Movement, what's important is the vote. Until 6:45 p.m. Tuesday, every student has the chance to show support for either slate. Students: This is your opportunity - and it's your responsibility - to decide how SGA will represent you.