SOUND SENSE: Gangsta rap...AOL ads...Yep

As tempting as it would be to be cheesy and begin this piece with a sentence involving "-izzle," I ... well ... just did. Darnit.

In any case, the fact that I'm appropriating trademark Snoop Dogg catchphrases means something significant: The rapper formerly known as Calvin Broadus has reached a level of universality that music fans in 1992 might never have dreamed possible.

Snoop was unleashed on the world via his mentor Dr. Dre's album "The Chronic," which came to embody early-'90s, West Coast gangsta rap. Though technically a Dr. Dre album, Snoop rapped as much as Dre did on the record.

Though rife with violent imagery and accounts of drug use, the album was catchy; Under the graphic streetwise tales lay fuzzed-out, funked-out basslines and melodic chord structures. This was rap music to which the pop and rock worlds could relate. In fact, two of the tracks, "Nuthin' But a 'G' Thang" and "Dre Day" became Top Ten pop crossover hits.

Snoop's debut album, "Doggystyle," entered the charts at number one in late 1993. The album continued to sell well on the strength of Top Ten singles "What's My Name?" and "Gin & Juice," as well as the frenzy of controversy surrounding the artist -- Snoop's lyrics were attacked as sexist and egregiously violent, and he was charged in connection with a drive-by shooting death.

Though he was eventually exonerated of the criminal charges, Snoop found it difficult to escape the bad-boy tag. His lyrics, though based on personal experience, had always incorporated fiction, and even though he had begun to distance himself from the street-bred thug life he emerged from, many listeners assumed he was the same gun-wielding misogynist that many of his songs described.

These days? The Doggfather is pitching high-speed internet access with America Online, acting in movies ("Bone," "Starsky and Hutch") and coaching his son's junior football team. While it appears he's evolved into a kinder, gentler Snoop offstage, there's nothing to suggest he can't still bring the pain onstage.

After a year of country musicians, comedians and Broadway music performances, Emens is finally playing host to a current alternative band: Brit-pop-rockers Muse.

The trio, which consists of guitarist/vocalist Matthew Bellamy, bassist Chris Wolstenhome and drummer Dominic Howard, released their debut EP in 1997. Another EP, "Muscle Museum," was met with critical acclaim and industry buzz upon its 1998 release, as well as a truckload of comparisons to Radiohead.

Like their art-rock countrymen, Muse utilize a melodic, mellowed-out approach to rock that occasionally crescendos into layers of swirling guitars.

This Sunday's concert doesn't warrant must-see status based on the bands alone, but the rare event of currently-relevant rock bands playing Emens makes this show considerably more important (most of the Muse/Razorlight tour's dates are in college towns) Normally a concert-goer would have to drive to Bogart's in Cincinnati, or even a Chicago venue to see alt-rock up-and-comers play headlining sets, particularly ones from across the pond. If you're into indie rock sounds at all, check this show out; who knows how long it'll be before a similar bill plays in Muncie.