Eatery plans to open in Village

Romo's Pizza is located in former Village Grille building

Oswaldo and Lemia Romo came to the United States from South America 20 years ago with the dream to open a pizza restaurant.

Their dream came true four years later when they opened Romo's Pizza, a dine-in and carry-out restaurant in the Anderson mall.

This month they will build on that dream by opening a Romo's Pizza in the Ball State Village.

"I am very excited," owner Oswaldo Romo said. "They need to eat some good pizzas."

Junior Justin Huff is familiar with Romo's Pizza because he is from the Anderson community. Although the prices can be a little high, Huff said, the quality and serving size is worth it.

"The pizza is very fulfilling because they are huge slices," Huff said. "I am very excited to take my friends there."

People keep eating at Romo's Pizza because of the family touch, Joyce Montgomery, a Romo's employee, said.

The restaurant is family owned and employed, which makes it appealing for families to come in and have a good time, Montgomery said.

"Everything on the menu is very reasonable and the quality of the pizza is worth the trip," she said. Montgomery is related to the Romos through her daughter, who married the Romo's son.

Aside from serving pizza, salad and pasta, the Romos want to add a touch of their own heritage to the menu.

Although the menu is not finished, they plan to include food from their native country of Peru, Oswaldo Romo said. The couple is also changing the restaurant's prices to accommodate Ball State students.

Oswaldo Romo hopes the unique and diverse menu will attract students and the Muncie community, he said.

"I think it's cool they are bringing different cultures into Muncie," sophomore Ashley Akers said. "I love pizza and I am always willing to try something new."

However, junior Ashley Miller isn't ready to leave her old standards just yet.

" I will just stick to Papa Johns," Miller said. "Maybe if I hear it's good, I will stop in."

The Romos expect to open the restaurant by the end of March.