Safe sex made simple

Contraceptive choices range from traditional to contemporary

With so many birth control methods available, health and convenience are just some of the factors that contribute to the choice of contraceptives.

"Talking to each patient individually is necessary to determine the right type of contraceptive," Diana Jones, the Women's Health Center nurse practitioner, said. "You have to find what works for you."

The choice of contraceptives depends on an individuals and family health history, frequency of sexual activity, number of partners and the desire to have children in the future, she said.

Hormonal contraceptives, such as the pill or injections, prevent pregnancy by stopping the release of an egg from the ovaries into the uterus or by making a "hostile" environment for sperm. Non-hormonal contraceptives, like condoms or a diaphragm, prevent pregnancy by providing a barrier against sperm or by interfering with sperm movement, also creating a "hostile" environment for sperm. Non-hormonal methods can also be in the form of permanent, surgical methods, such as a vasectomy or tubal ligation, she said. Of the methods, male and female condoms provide the greatest protection from HIV and sexually transmitted diseases.

"There are so many choices," Jones said. "The ideal situation would be to schedule an appointment to discuss exactly what the patient is looking for," Jones said.

The difference between prescribed and over-the-counter methods is determined by the side effects and effectiveness. She said the Food and Drug Administration conducts rigorous lab studies and testing on male rats, which are surprisingly used most often in the trials. When it has been determined safe to test on humans volunteers are asked to participate in trial studies. With all the risks and benefits assessed, it then goes on be approved by legislation.

Stephanie Gates, 22, said the necessity of birth control turned into a matter of convenience for her choice in contraceptives. She said she was using birth control pills for more than a year before she began receiving Depo-Provera. The injection was more convenient because she only have to receive it every three months.

"The hassle of remembering to take the pill every day made the shot seem so much easier," Gates said.

A study released in 2004 revealed that females receiving the injection Depo-Provera, approved in 1992, are at risk for loss of bone density resulting in an increased risk of osteoporosis, according to the Food and Drug Administration Web site. Jones said physicians have been advised that women who have been on the shot for least two years should discontinue its use and have a bone density test. Gates said she talked with her doctor and was taken off Depo-Provera and has returned to using oral contraceptives.

"I would rather take my health into consideration instead of what's most convenient," she said.

Studies and controversy about different contraceptive methods have been around since the advent of the birth control pill.

Jones said there is confusion between the Plan B pill and RU-486. Plan B is 89 percent effective when used within 72 hours of unprotected sex or contraceptive failure. Jones said the advantage is that it is used to prevent pregnancy and if the woman is already pregnant it will not harm the developing fetus. RU-486, also known as "the abortion pill," is taken to stop the fetus development in early pregnancy, according to an FDA Web site. The push to allow easier access to these contraceptive methods is still embroiled in controversy.

"I totally disagree with it being available over the counter; in order for a safe use, it has to be done through professionals who have health backgrounds and a facility that can manage a patient appropriately," Jones said.

The Women's Health Center prescribes all types of contraceptives except cervical caps and an intrauterine device (IUD). She said the university population is young and women must be fitted for the IUD and cervical caps. They also do not prescribe RU-486 because of the risks associated with its use.

A majority of contraceptives are geared toward female use. Birth control methods for men primarily consist of a vasectomy or condoms. She said developments for a contraceptive shot for men that uses the hormone, medroxyprogesterone acetate, which is the same hormone that is used in the Depo-Provera injection.

"There's a lot of research going on," she said. "I'm curious to see what they come up with."

Besides all of the new research into new contraceptives, Jones said education about the types of birth control methods allows for people to better understand the various options that are available. She passes on that knowledge each semester when she speaks with health science classes.

"Physicians and patients need to talk so we can provide the best type of contraceptive for them," Jones said.