Group wants filming in state

Network asks for tax incentives to bring in produces

When people think of locations for major film shoots, most think of places such as Los Angeles, New Mexico or New York City. The Indiana Media Industry Network is trying to change that.

IMIN is a network of TV and film producers that serve as a lobbying group to represent producers in state legislatures. Their common goal is to pass House Bill 1639, which if passed would provide tax incentives for filmmakers to shoot in Indiana. This would then create jobs in Indiana.

"We are trying to provide incentives for producers to bring their movie, commercial and TV show businesses to Indiana," Nancy Carlson, chairwoman of the telecommunications department, said. "We are proposing giving a tax credit as well as letting the filmmakers use Indiana state property to shoot on for free."

The economy is getting a boost by bringing in more film businesses to Indiana, she said.

"The organization aims at rewarding our own film making industry by providing support in networking in all aspects of film making," Carlson said. "Even though Indiana's film making business is making about $350 million already, we want to bring in even more money to Indiana's economy through this profitable industry."

Many people are concerned about the brain drain trend among college graduates in Indiana. Brain drain is where educated and talented college graduates leave the state in search for jobs. This is especially prevalent with jobs pertaining to the film industry.

"I want to do my part in helping create job here for students so that they don't have to leave the state in order to find good jobs," Carlson said.

The House Bill 1639 already passed through the House Commerce Committee by a unanimous vote of 12 to zero. It will soon go through the Ways and Means Committee and if passed there, it goes to the whole House for a vote.

Carlson hopes her efforts with the IMIN will make Indiana more attractive to the movie industry and other types of media production operations. If passed, this bill would create more jobs within the state for the world-class talent currently being developed at Ball State as well as other universities and colleges in Indiana.