OUR VIEW: BTW, R we NE better?

AT ISSUE: From text messaging to video games, technology surrounds us more than ever before

You know what's news?

Halo 2 comes out today.

You know what's scary?

That means something to a lot of people on this campus.

It also says something about our reliance on technology.

Many gamers have yet to settle down from the release of GrandTheft Auto: San Andreas back on Oct. 26. And, as of this morning,thousands of fans were waiting outside game stores across thecountry just like Red Sox fans did weeks ago for the WorldSeries.

As far as what's worth the wait: we'll let you discuss amongstyourselves.

But what is interesting to note is how a video game such as Halois drawing crowds comparable to new movie and music releases inHollywood. In fact, as far as Halo 2 goes, Microsoft has reportedlyallotted "tens of millions of dollars" for the marketing budgetalone, according to C|Net's News.com.

That's a lot of money for a little round disc.

Of course, try telling that to a Halo fiend.

There are more examples of this technologically-addictedgeneration.

In all corners of the world, let alone the nation, preteensthrough graduate students, and even some business associates, canbe caught in elevators, classes, meetings and bathrooms allfulfilling one common addiction.

'Txt'ing.

Although SMS (short message service) has been around for sometime now (believe it or not), the world has found an odd obsessionwith sending restricted alphanumeric characters across a wirelessconnection.

Then, the powers-that-be at Verizon, T-Mobile and others said:"Let there be pictures!"

Suddenly we're now able to discretely send pictures, textmessages and (soon) video mail ... across a cell phone. Well, askanyone in a locker room how they feel about that.

Didn't we create cell phones to talk on?

Not if you ask a 15-year-old girl. Give her a cell phone, sitback and watch the magic begin ... and her parents cell phone billshoot through the roof.

This is, of course, after we pull her away from MSN, Yahoo! orAOL Instant Messenger.

Wait - she has that on there, too.

There was a time that a decreasing number of us remember when wedid not have cell phones. A world before America Online and beforee-mail, when text messaging was limited to a thing called atelegram and an instant messenger was the man or women whodelivered it.

However, those days are as gone as our peak airtime minutes.

Frankly - sometimes we need to step back and realize that maybewe're just a bit too wired into our world. Maybe it's time to stepback and pull a "Henry David Thoreau," if you will.

With the ever-increasing advances in technology and the race toget, use and learn it first, we humans are fast becoming thepredicted materialistic bots of tomorrow.

Which leads us asking one thing.

"WTF?"