FOOTBALL Cards rested, ready to go for finale

Following bye week, BSU days plays its final home game of 2004

With a week off, Ball State was able to rest several of itsailing players and refresh before the season's final two games.

Ball State had played on eight consecutive Saturdays before thebye week. Players had three days off from practice before startingagain Thursday.

"We were at a point where we needed the off week," head coachBrady Hoke said. "We needed a bit of mental rest and physicalrest."

Hoke is hoping to avoid last season's meltdown, when he felt theteam wore down physically in dropping its last four games,finishing with a 4-8 record. So far, the early returns arefavorable.

"Mentally, it was good (for the players) to get away from herefor a few days," Hoke said. "We had a really good practice (Sunday)night. We were relaxed and focused on the task ahead."

Joey Lynch, who on Monday was named the starting quarterback forSaturday, added the team seemed "rejuvenated" when practicesresumed.

While the Cardinals are rested, they're also a bithealthier.

Nine players who had been on the Cardinals two-deep chart havemissed the last two games. Some of those players are expected toreturn for Saturday's home finale, namely running backs Scott Blairand Charles Wynn and receiver Ryan Hahaj. However, the offensiveline remains woefully thin, with just two redshirt freshman listedas backups at the five spots.

Hoke said starting defensive tackles Riley Larimore and ConradSlaughter were banged up after the Northern game. He expects theytoo will be ready to play.

TAKING CARE OF IT

While the reasons for Ball State's 1-8 record this season arenumerous, turnovers is not one of them. The Cardinals havecommitted just five turnovers in 2004, tied with fellowMid-American Conference school Bowling Green for fewest in thenation.

Ball State has lost just two fumbles and thrown threeinterceptions. Cole Stinson's first interception came in mop-upduty in a blowout at Missouri, while Lynch threw his only pick onthe final play of a 35-23 loss at Akron.

HIGH SCHOOL LINKS

Of the the six Floridians on Ball State's roster, three havehigh school teammates on Central Florida's roster.

Sophomore defensive end Vincent Davis and UCF's seniorlinebacker Stanford Ruhle are from Dillard High School in FortLauderdale, Fla. Floyd Reddick, a redshirt freshman receiver andUCF safety Damani Fagan came from St. Thomas Aquinas, also in FortLauderdale, Fla. Reserve fullback Aaron Mathews and UCF freshmanquarterback Kyle Israel, who would start Saturday if not for astress fracture, went to University High in Orlando, Fla.