WOMEN'S VOLLEYBALL: Cardinals to play MAC home opener

One more win would give Litchfield 200 conference victories

An expected redshirt will see play time this weekend for thewomen's volleyball team. Head coach Randy Litchfield has decided toplay sophomore Heather Burleson in an attempt to help the team'soffense.

"She is not a solve-all, but she's a heck of an athlete andcertainly could help us a bunch," Litchfield said.

Burleson played in 20 of the Cardinals 34 matches last season,but was expected to redshirt this season since the team has plentyof depth.

"It would have been great to have that luxury, but we don't,"Litchfield said. "Now is the time rather than waiting tillNovember."

Burleson said she is excited about the opportunity and expectsto bring energy to the team.

"I'm really excited, it's going to be a great chance to get outthere and play," Burleson said. "I've been working real hard incase a situation like this came up."

Ball State (7-6, 1-1) has two home court matches against WesternMichigan (8-5) and Bowling Green (9-4), two teams that enter theweekend with 2-0 records in the Mid-American Conference. It will bethe Cardinals MAC home-opener, which is something Litchfield saidthe team needs to take seriously.

"If you ever want to talk about championship, you have to startthat discussion with winning at home," Litchfield said. "We reallyhave to be in a mood where we're protecting our home court."

In the first Mideast Region ranking done by RichKern.com/AVCA,Ball State was in the No. 14 spot, with Western Michigan at No. 7and Bowling Green at No. 12.

With no match during the week, the Cardinals have had all weekto prepare for the Broncos, which Litchfield said should give themconfidence that will translate into points. He also said Western isprobably the most physical team in the conference.

"We shouldn't be caught off guard by their physical play, we'vebeen playing teams like that," Litchfield said.

Senior Stacie Baldwin said two wins would say a lot about howgood the Cardinals are because of the good seasons Western andBowling Green have had.

"I think it's a little bit of a challenge this weekend just tocome out and perform consistently the entire time," Baldwinsaid.