WOMEN'S VOLLEYBALL: Ball State hopes to continue winning streak against IPFW

Despite five straight wins, Litchfield fears team is 'letting up'

Even though Ball State is on a five-match winning streak, headcoach Randy Litchfield is worried the team may be in the midst of amidseason lull.

"The finish line isn't in sight, yet what my team's doing rightnow is letting up a little bit, and my duty as head coach is todrive this team through that," Litchfield said after practiceWednesday.

The Cardinals (11-6, 5-1 MAC) have a home match against IPFW onThursday before hitting the road for a matchup at Akron onSaturday.

In the past two matches BSU has shown a lack of focus during thefirst game, which is why it's been trying to regain some focus thisweek in practice, Litchfield said.

"We've really tried to amp up the focus this week in practice,"Litchfield said. "I would say that at least in three days ofpractice we've failed miserably."

IPFW is 3-2 against Mid-American Conference teams so far thisseason and is ranked 15th by RickKern.com in the regional rankings.Ball State ranks 10th in that same poll.

Two Brazilian players lead the Mastodons, with middle hitterFabiana Souza being the main threat. Litchfield said stopping herwill be the key to the match.

Akron dropped its first four conference games, but has won thelast two, and Litchfield said the Zips always play well on theirhome court.

"We've got a real challenge this week and we've got to drivethrough this little period of mental laziness," he said. "This isthe danger zone right now, you never win championships in Octoberbut you can lose them."

One area that could be affected by the team's lull is blocking.Ball State has not been blocking well as of late, and a mental lullwill only put them farther behind.

"I would say that when mental laziness sets in that blocking isthe first thing that goes," Litchfield said. "It's such a dynamicskill that involves lots of concentration. If you're a millisecondlate you will fail."

Senior Stephanie Keller said she doesn't think the team isoverconfident going into the weekend.

"We just have been playing well as a team, we have goodchemistry," Keller said. "When we've won five matches in a row,it's about the heart of our team and the personality of each playercoming to do their job."

While practice has not gone how Litchfield had hoped it would hesaid sometimes that can turn into something positive.

"Sometimes a couple steps backward during three days of practicewill take you a step forward on match night so that's really whatmy hope is," Litchfield said. "We'll know very quickly in game oneagainst IPFW were we're at mentally."