WOMEN'S TENNIS Two players make singles flight finals

Batty falls in super-tiebreaker; Farrar sidelined due to injury

The Ball State women's tennis team is once again smarting fromlosses to Miami. The Cardinals, who suffered two losses to theRedhawks last year including one in the conference tournament,faced Miami seven times this weekend and was only able to walk awaywith one win.

"That was very frustrating for us," coach Kathy Bull said. "Ifanything, it will be something we can use for motivation, to keepus going throughout the fall, to keep our eye on the goal for thespring."

While the Cardinals struggled against Miami, Stephanie Farrarwas able to score a victory over Miami's Laura Vlasek in the flightD semi-finals despite severe shin splints.

"Stephanie Farrar playing late in the semi-finals last in theday was just such a classic battle and for her to gut throughthat," Bull said. "I felt bad for her not being able to play in thefinals."

Farrar was one of two Cards to advance to the finals, despitebeing unable to play. Jenny Batty, the only Cardinal in Flight A,advanced to the finals before falling to Miami's LindaJirouskova.

"I would have liked to see a couple more players in the finals,"Bull said. "It would have been great if Farrar had been healthy togo in the finals, then she and Batty would have been in two of theflight finals."

The road was not an easy one for Batty, as she faced three supertiebreakers and two set tiebreakers to make it to the finals.

"To watch Batty, she had so many tiebreakers and supertiebreakers this weekend," Bull said. "I know it kind of broke herdown a little bit."

Despite the tough losses to Miami, the Cardinals had a 16-2record against all schools other than Miami to give them a 17-8singles record for the tournament.

In doubles, the Cardinals went 6-2 overall, dropping one matchover each of the two days, giving the Cardinals a winning record inboth singles and doubles.

"I saw everybody step it up and that's what's important," Bullsaid.